Username Post: Little Things That Make BIG Differences        (Topic#3341)
Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki
Reg: 02-25-09

07-17-14 01:09 PM - Post#13932    

I was going over some of my experiences at conventions and was thinking about some of the little things that conventions do that can make things a lot easier, or a lot more difficult for attendees.

Making staff more visible
If you've go staff that's public facing, it should be required to have them wear something that makes it clear they are staff. The more distinct, the better. Personally, I think the best choice is brightly colored shirts with "STAFF" or "SECURITY" on the back so they stick out in a crowd. I'm not as much of a fan of black t-shirts since every other attendee at the con is probably also wearing a black shirt.

Using your venue's room names in schedules
It's always a challenge to navigate a convention venue you've never been to before. It's even tougher when you look at your schedule, see an event, but have no idea where that is. Titles like "Video 1" or "Panel 5" are ok, but if you don't know which room has that designation, you could lose a lot of time trying to find where you need to go. It also makes life easier for any venue employees that might get asked by attendees.

A good schedule will have something like this.

• In reply to:

-Delahanty Ballroom-
(Panel 5)

11:00am-12:00pm: Chibi Project Live!
12:30pm-1:30pm AnimeCons.com, The Inside Story
2:00pm-3:00 Building your own Ball Pit for under $17,000!

Water Stations
(And regularly refreshing them)
It might take a bit out of your budget to request it from your venue, but it is so worth it. It makes sure that people stay hydrated. This is just as important in the winter as it is in the summer. I've become so accustomed to having water easily available at a con that when there aren't water stations at a con, it becomes VERY noticeable.

Anything else you guys have experienced that make a big difference when you're at a convention?
-Doug Wilder
Resident Mecha fanboy of AnimeCons TV!

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

07-17-14 01:15 PM - Post#13933    
    In response to Nigoki

• Nigoki Said:
Making staff more visible
If you've go staff that's public facing, it should be required to have them wear something that makes it clear they are staff. The more distinct, the better. Personally, I think the best choice is brightly colored shirts with "STAFF" or "SECURITY" on the back so they stick out in a crowd. I'm not as much of a fan of black t-shirts since every other attendee at the con is probably also wearing a black shirt.

I agree 100%! I once asked a convention why it put its staff in black shirts that looked just like the attendee shirts. I was told, "They like black shirts the best." *facepalm* TOO BAD! Staff visibility should be a higher priority than being fashionable.

• Nigoki Said:
Using your venue's room names in schedules
It's always a challenge to navigate a convention venue you've never been to before. It's even tougher when you look at your schedule, see an event, but have no idea where that is. Titles like "Video 1" or "Panel 5" are ok, but if you don't know which room has that designation, you could lose a lot of time trying to find where you need to go. It also makes life easier for any venue employees that might get asked by attendees.

Hotels and convention centers have existing signs pointing to various locations. Conventions that RENAME these rooms are just making life harder for everyone. I remember going to one convention where they had Panel 1 in Meeting Room 5, Panel 2 in Meeting Room 7, Videos in Meeting Room 2, etc... It would have made navigation a lot easier if they just called them "Panel 5", "Panel 2", and "Video 2" at the very least since these rooms were pre-numbered and giving them different numbers is confusing. (I actually went to the wrong rooms twice by mistake that weekend.)
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

Volibear 
Attendee

Reg: 04-01-13

07-30-14 11:00 AM - Post#13963    
    In response to Nigoki

I agree with you on that. I once worked for a con that I won't mentiont the name to here for obvious reasons, but they had a place surrounded by water and they didn't have any hydrating stations. I worked security there and I was upset that I had to argue with the venue staff to get me some water. They wanted to charge for it and I had a medical emergency that I was tending to at the time. I was like really? You are going to argue with me when there is someone that is dehydrating and really needs this water like 10 mins ago?

This place was bad cause they had it at a place where there is alot of traffic. Great right? Wrong. High traffic in terms of, the wrong people. You wouldn't invite old timers to a punk rock concert, you wouldn't invite kids to a rammstein concert, etc.... Point is, they had the wrong people there and they were wondering why it was like this. They not only didn't rent out the entire venue, they only rented out like 1/10th of the entire venue, this isn't including hotel rooms, and the rest was open to the public. It was bad enough that they had a second venue literally about a mile and a half away from the first and no one knew about it. I didn't even know about it and I was on that planning staff.

On top of all that, even with an event that small, there were very few things I could use to tell the staff from the guests. Literally, all the badges were the same, thanks design dept, and the only thing I could use to identify anyone was to go up close to the person and read what they put on the badge, which people had to write in manually instead of having it pre-printed on there like pre-reg should of done. The text was very small so sometimes you would mistaken guests for staff, which happened alot.

I think overall, the staff should be allowed to cosplay or have fun, but on their time off. Most of the staff was cosplaying which didn't make things better. I am perfectly comfortable with wearing a shirt that clearly and plainly says Security followed by x-kon, where x is the name of the con. "x-kon security" or "Security x-con" would of been perfectly acceptable.

Enough on that, overall, I think one thing that staff has done to make a difference is when they take the time to comfort you in your time of need. I was at SJ:S7 and I had a medical condition that nearly rendered me unconcious and not only did the hotel and SJ safety patrol help and respond, they comforted me the entire time until my attack passed. I never felt so welcomed outside my own home.
Con Chair in the making

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.122 seconds.   Total Queries: 34  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:35 PM